As marketers, we know WORDS matter. They’re used to communicate, differentiate and deliver a clear understanding of your brand, company, products and ideas.
We tried something a little different as we assessed 2016. We wanted to get handle on our current state and to understand what we were communicating. Our blog is often the starting point for shaping, sharing and honing our points of view. So, we created a “word cloud” around the Integrate blog to identify the words and topics and we spent the most energy on over the past year.
While our 2017 planning is chalked with forward thinking, it was a useful tool to first assess what we thought was important for B2B marketing in 2016.
Here is how to create a word cloud of your own:
Below are the words and phrases that were most often cited. There were not too many surprises when we assembled the data. It does, however, say a great deal about the topics we think were important to the B2B marketing customers and markets we serve.
- ABM – Undoubtedly the B2B buzzword and “I think I should be doing that” thing in 2016
- Marketing Automation – The rock and “gotta have” platform to nurture, qualify and manage leads
- Data – Today’s marketing currency, the value is still in the eye of the beholder
- Integrations – Marketers are always looking to kill silos and use tech to unite it all
- Pipeline – A big metric for us all; How big was yours in 2016?
- Revenue – With customer retention and cross-sell/upsell a big bet for 2017
- Marketing Ops – The most sexy, unsexy role in marketing this year
- Demand Generation – The marketing profession that is – no pun intended – in high demand
One clear conclusion is that we’re always balancing the here and now – what’s a part of every B2B marketers’ day (see above) – and the emerging topics gaining steam (see below). Here are the up-and-coming phrases gaining steam.
- Demand Orchestration – Automating and integrating top-funnel marketing is happening
- Game Changers – A label for the B2B marketing pros that are doing breakthrough work
- Top-of-Funnel Marketing – The most money and time is spent here; it’s still so complex
- Predictive – We’ve got lots of definition and much promise, yet still much to figure out
What were the words and themes that mattered to you in 2016? And, most importantly, what will be the words and topics that matter for 2017?
Perhaps we have a marketing ops game changer use predictive marketing and data integrated with your marketing automation platform to identify the pipeline of B2B marketing words and phrases that will mater in 2017!